Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Strawbery Flop

I saw this fantastic recipe on Pintrest for dehydrating strawberries in the oven to make a sweet and healthy snack.  So, I decided to give it a try.

I washed the strawberries and cut the stems off.  Then, I lined them on a baking sheet.





I baked them at 210 degrees for three hours using the Pintrest recipe.


But, my results were less than desirable.





So, I call this my strawberry flop..haha.  Three members of our house liked and ate them in spite of the detestable way they look.  I was not one of them:)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve this?  The picture on Pintrest had beautiful red strawberries but mine were dark and shriveled.

2 comments:

  1. I've never dried strawberries before, but we have done several other fruits in the dehydrator, and 210* seems rather high. Usually you would dehydrate fruit at 130-150*. You could try a lower temperature and see what happens. Also slicing the berries may help - when they're whole the outside may get crisp/burnt before the inside is all the way dry. If you're going to eat them right away that won't matter, but if you want to store them awhile you want the fruit dry all the way to the center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! Maybe I will have to try that again at a lower temp. Or, maybe I should just invest in a dehydrator:)

    ReplyDelete