Friday, January 20, 2012

The Heart of the Matter

Today I really want to share a quote that came to me via email some time ago from a former pastor who still speaks into our lives.  I have shared it before on facebook but wanted to have it here on my blog as well.
I believe that this is such an important and yet easily missed truth in the busyness of raising kids.  It is the number one parenting issue that the Lord has put on my heart lately.  I am striving to learn and win the heart of my little ones. 

"People tend to embrace the teaching and beliefs of those who love them the most. And your children are no different. They are much more likely to accept the truth you teach if you deliver it to them within a loving, heart-to-heart relationship. Whoever has their heart has their ears. . . .

 Dr. S.M. Davis wisely explains it like this: “The key ingredient in raising good children is to get their hearts early, keep their hearts, and be extremely vigilant not to lose your children’s hearts. If you do lose your child’s heart, then quickly  find out where and when you lost it, and put into action a plan to get their heart back no matter what it takes to do it. No matter how much time or trouble or money it takes to get back your child’s heart, you must decide ahead of time that you will be willing to pay the price.” . . . .

Despite this, fathers (and I will add mothers too) are notorious for doing things that anger their children and lose their hearts. Ephesians 6:4 says, “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.” Colossians 3:21 says, “Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they will not lose heart.” Before telling us to train and instruct our children, we are warned not to frustrate or embitter them. Why?

Because if we lose their hearts, we lose everything. They simply won’t listen to us. This is so important that if it is not heeded, fathering will fail.

There you have it . . . a healthy challenge to all of us . . . So . . . what is the Lord telling you to do in response?"

I really need to read this about once a week to help me stay focused on the long term goal of raising my children.  So many little things just really don't matter when you are focused on the end result.

I hope this will bless, encourage, and challenge you as much as it did me.

Happy heart hunting:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment