Thursday, September 26, 2013

Homemade Italian Guacamole Dip and Garlic Crackers

One of our favorite places to go on a date is a great little Italian restaurant just down the street.  We have our favorite appetizer and dessert that we ALWAYS order.  But, sometimes we want those yummy treats without having to get a sitter, dress up, leave the house, and pay restaurant prices.  So, I have tried to recreate one of our favorites here.

This is an Italian style guacamole dip with crispy garlic crackers.  I searched all over the internet for over an hour trying to get a recipe for this with no success.  So I thought I would share what we made here for anyone looking for this treat.

Here's what you will need:
double recipe for crackers - I just made biscuit dough and then added additional flour:)
1 chopped red onions
minced garlic
olive oil
1 cup grated Italian blend cheese
Italian spices (oregano, basil) to taste
6 avocado
1 chopped tomato
salt and pepper to taste

The crackers:
I have never made crackers at any point in my life...bread, yes...but crackers, no.  So, I searched the internet for a while and not finding a recipe that I loved, I decided to just make a double batch of biscuit dough.  I then kneaded in as much extra flour as I could.  Rolling the dough as thin as possible (the thinner the better), and cutting two large circles, I placed the dough on two round baking pans.  I especially like baking them round to get the great pizza style triangular shape for dipping when sliced. 

Next, I drizzled olive oil on the dough and topped with Italian spices, minced garlic, Italian blend cheeses, and chopped red onion. I baked at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, until I could see crispy browning on the edges.

Here is the cracker before I placed the onions on top. I actually forgot them and took the picture and then thought something was missing and realized it was the onions. 



Here is the picture with onions.  It just truly looks so much more appetizing with the onions.  








This pan was my friend when it came to getting the crackers crispy:)



The dip:
I chopped 3 avocados  and massed 3 more.  I then added chopped tomato, garlic, Italian spices, salt and pepper folding over until all ingredients were combined well.

The final product.  Yum!


The crackers didn't get as crispy as I would have liked so next time I will try to use a roller to get them thinner and maybe cook just a bit longer.  Other than that, this was a fantastic appetizer and the kids loved it, onions, avocado, and all:)

No comments:

Post a Comment