Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Quick Biography

I thought that I would start this blog with a quick biography of who I am and my experience with kids over the years.

I am a mother of four beautiful children with a fifth blessing on the way. My kids currently are six, five, three, and one. I am also a home school mom. Yeah...you read that right. I teach my own children myself from my home. Now I can hear the crickets chirping. Okay...I know what you are thinking. Dismiss all of your biases and prepare for a journey that few take. If you have ever watched any of those popular reality shows about large families you are most likely wondering how one can manage a large family without sending the older ones off to school or having much older ones to help. Well, it definitely isn't easy. We are very structured. We have a schedule that allows for independent and group learning, creative play, computer time, chores, quiet play, naps, cooking, and free time. School days are the easy ones because I tend to have all my ducks...or kids...haha...in a row...well, at least most of the time. LOL One thing that I try to do is enjoy life everyday no matter the circumstances. I believe that is the recipe for a happy person...mom...and family:)

As for the education of my kids, I have a degree in elementary education and am certified to teach. With that said, I do not believe that this is necessary for parents to teach their children. Most parents are capable of teaching their children with a greater degree of learning and retention than in the classroom setting. Later I will post blogs on the history of homeschooling and it's influence in my life. For now, just know that home schooled children from the 1980's and 1990's are now doing quite well and a large majority of them are very successful.

From my college years on, I have worked as a nanny, teacher's assistant, Montessori teacher, elementary teacher, camp counselor, camp director, nursery coordinator, and VBS director over the years. Most of this I did before having my first baby, but none of it prepared me for what I would want and need to know as a mom.

In this blog I will share my experiences becoming a mother for the first time, learning how to juggle two schedules, adding a third child and more, how we travel, my call to home school, my favorite baby products and school curriculum, the stories behind all of these in my life and everyday life as we experience it.

Mostly, life is a journey and I see every day as an opportunity to start with a clean slate...that is after I wipe off the PB&J and bananas...haha. Every day should be viewed as a learning opportunity and a chance to guide, direct, mold, and teach the precious children that have been entrusted to you. I have made many mistakes in many areas of my life. I'm sure you have too. The important thing is to get back up. Just like Eric Liddle did in the Olympic races so many years ago and keep running...you just might win:)

If you are a home school mom or thinking about home schooling and have questions I would love to answer any that I can. You can email me at allisonreneemom@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment